Thursday, March 01, 2012

Rubber Dollies...

Good Thursday To You All!

I hope your week has been good to you. And that you are accomplishing everything you set out to do - if you live in my world (or even just visit) you know how likely that is to happen. LOL  :)

I've gotten a few things accomplished so far this week.....
I finally got my manikin ready to be used! Hurray!! After 2 packages of 320 expanding foam and 5 - yes 5 - cans of 'great stuff', it is finally filled. I was beginning to wonder if I should have just bought a 'dress form' manikin. BUT.....I am thrilled with how it turned out and I think it will do nicely for all that I have planned. Now that I have just over a month to finish the doublet for RenFest.
Speaking of RenFest.....this is the first year they will be doing 'season passes'. I was thrilled to hear this....that was until I saw the price. Talk about sticker shock. WOW. A season pass is $110. That works out to six visits to the RenFest to break even. Guess who won't be getting a season pass......this year. :)

this is the completed form

the neck got crunched while messing with the expanding foam

so i added a 'roll of newspaper' for a new collar

Didn't turn out too bad....did it? I like the 'heft' of the manikin...I can be fairly brutal with it and not have to worry too much. The foam has solidified and this thing is 'built Ford tough'.  :)
However......being an artist.....you know damn well I couldn't leave it that awful grey. So I got me some colored duct tape to have some fun with. What colors? Well, what colors are there? Hhhhmmmmm, I mean really....what choice do I have? If you know me (even if you don't) I'm sure you can guess as to which two colors I've chosen. Yes, black is one....and the other???? ORANGE of course!!! Wanna see? 

it's a man-o-lantern!  ha!!
was that really a surprise? i didn't think so. :)

Guess what I found on my porch when I got home from work yesterday? A large brown box! 
A large brown box from Critical Coatings! My Neoprene showed up! OMG, I was so excited. Like a kid with a new toy!!!!  I took it inside and immediately started getting things ready for my first pour. 
Yes, Forrest has been poured! I filled his mold and waited.....and waited....and waited. Just over 2 hours so I was sure the 'skin' was thick enough. Then I drained the excess and left him to cure. This morning (way too early to be doing this stuff) before I left for work I pulled the neoprene out of the mold. Looked pretty good. Of course, it was a rushed look but not too bad. That was pull number one. The 'white' neoprene....which dries to a cream color. When I got home tonight I poured pull number two.....the 'black' neoprene. So far, it is black. The color has darkened....yay! I was afraid it was going to be a gray color. I've trimmed pull #1 and it doesn't look too bad. There are a few spots where I'm going to have to sand and fill but nothing major. Whew! As I've said before...this is not the first time I've done this but it's always nerve wracking until you have the finished piece in your hands. Now I'm just waiting for pull #2 to set up. I will have to de-mold it in the morning again. It should look as good as the first one. Now on to some pictures.....

fill 'er up!


excess poured off. you can see the bottom starting to 'lift'



pour #2 and a semi dry pull #1 which will be ready to work on come saturday
i kinda squished it onto Forrest's body - it fits rather well! 

I want to take the time and say "THANKS" for all the comments on the mask. I just wish it hadn't been a total loss between the clay shrinking and cracking and the paper mache not releasing. Live and learn. The next one will be much better! *fingers crossed, toes and eyes too!*

Tomorrow my baby comes home from California. I can't wait to see her. I've missed her so much! It's not under the best circumstances but I'm hoping we can get around that and on to all the things I know she's capable of doing!

I see I have new followers too! Oh wait....it says 'Members' now! I'm glad....I really don't like that word.....followers... makes me feel like a dictator or something. LOL
So....let's all say hi to Astrid over at http://www.astridbears.blogspot.com/ 
she has the cutest little bunny up right now!
and to....Shirley at http://skellytonart.blogspot.com/ 
spooky stuff to make you smile!
and to.... Beverley - I didn't see a blog for Beverley. :(
Welcome to all my new friends....I think I'm going to need a bigger place for Sunday tea. LOL

Well, I think that's all for now....until next time...
Be Good, Be Safe, Be Happy!


TTFN
p.s. - this is post 102 and I am up to 27 members now. I'm keeping track of which comes first.....50 members or 125 posts for my next give-away!



 

 

 



4 comments:

  1. Your manikin is super:) It's a piece of modern art all by itself. You could probably sell it for a ton of money:)

    p.s. Beverley has a couple of blogs:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary Ann!
    maybe I'll add a stem to the top and put it on Ebay. LOL!
    Thanks for the heads up on Beverley's blogs. It must be my 'blogspot' again. this isn't the first time it hasn't shown me other's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The manikin is brilliant I love the black and orange-nice design -what are you going to do with it Ron?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Patricia!
    I'm using it for some design work on a doublet and later on for some costume work for DragonCon. :)

    ReplyDelete