Sunday, January 26, 2014

Icky Sweet Doll Mead

Good Day Everyone!
Hope you all have been well and productive since our last visit.
It's been busy and hectic in my little corner of the universe.
I've been working on multiple projects (me? never! HA!) and I've got at least another 50 that I want to do. So I think that is where we shall start....

My work on 'Icky' has continued. Not as much as I would have liked but some progress none-the-less. I have gotten the basic layer of Monster Clay applied to the body. It will take a good deal of smoothing. Right now it is extremely lumpy. I was really unsure about the mold of the pumpkin that I was going to use for the head so I decided to remold it. That was not the best idea I've had. I split it into three segments this time to keep it from breaking when I pulled it apart. Yeah...well...all three pieces broke. I was not a happy camper. Now what? Guess I will have to make what I have work. Icky is proving to be obstinate already. I am liking the Monster Clay. It has a good consistency and hardens nicely when cooled. I think it's going to be great for all the details. Then I will have to decide how I will mold this. Likely silicone, I think. Time will tell. Here's a few photos for your approval...
starting to apply the skin coat of Monster Clay

skin coat completed
lumpy, lumpy, lumpy

building up the shoulder area

shot from the backside

starting to mold the pumpkin

3 segments all broken across the middle

I've finally found a pattern for a stand up doll that I've been looking all over for. I still don't know the name of the doll. It has large feet and can stand on it's own. It's a really popular doll in Russia right now. My Mom used to make this style of doll when I was a kid. If someone knows the name of this style of doll, let me know. I'm going to take it a little further than just a cloth doll. But that is a post for another time. Anyway, here's the pattern and an example of the style of doll...
simple pattern

type of doll

I have begun Mead Batch #4 this past Friday as well. Thought I would try something a little different this time. I am using Sweet Apple Cider instead of spring water. I got Basswood Honey and Buckwheat Honey. Along with Cranberry wine starter. I have added Hungarian Oak Cubes to the mix too. And I am trying a different yeast. It's called 48 Turbo Super Yeast. And I must say, it has really, really bubbled the airlock. Just a simple mix but I think the combinations should work out great. I haven't chosen a name yet. Any suggestions? I've gotten some good feedback on the first batch, so that's a plus! The Basswood honey was really good (had to taste it) and the Buckwheat - wow, it is strong! And sweet! Thought I was going to go into a sugar coma. The Buckwheat supposedly has a molasses after taste. I couldn't get past the sweetness, so I will have to wait. 
some of  the ingredients

If you remember, in November I bought a new truck, a Toyota Tacoma. Well, I got an interesting call from Ford Credit. It appears that Union City Toyota has yet to pay off my Ranger. I am still arguing with them about why it hasn't been taken care of. Been back and forth with several people at the showroom and still have not gotten it resolved. My advice? DO NOT BUY anything from Union City Toyota. I'll let you know how it comes out.

The portrait that I did was received well. I was told that his wife was speechless. That was a real boost. I am thrilled that he and she were happy with the portrait! I took a ridiculous amount of photos of the finished portrait and didn't get one decent shot of it. It was really difficult to get the texture! Also the brooch that I did for Karen and Jan's wedding was well liked. Karen told me that the brooch bouquet was full but she planned on wearing my brooch during the wedding. YAY! 
finished brooch


finished portrait 
still a really crappy photo!

My grandson, Lawton, got a couple of awards for his outstanding grades this past week as well! I am so proud of him!
my son and grandchildren
at Lawton's award ceremony
YAY Lawton!

I think that will do it for this post. 
Until next time...
Be Good, Be Safe, Be Happy!


TTFN









No comments:

Post a Comment