Saturday, January 28, 2012

Slacking or Sliding

Good Evening All!
Hope everyone has had a fruitful week....actually, I guess it's two weeks. It doesn't seem possible but here we are fifteen days later. I feel like I've been slacking off. The first week after my daughter went back to California was a total blur. And a total waste....didn't get anything done. Well, I guess that's not completely true.....I did do some more research. Just now getting back into things.

Last week I got absolutely nothing done on Forrest. Just couldn't find the 'energy' to be creative. That seems to be passing now. I did go out last weekend and pick up some WED Clay (from Laguna Clay). I've decided that I'm going to try something different with Forrest. I've used WED clay before and I really like the way it flows. If you've never used it...all I can say is try it! You'll like it! "Hey Mikey, He likes it!" (just gave my age away LOL).
Some of the research I was doing, as you know, was for the RenFest and DragonCon. I have come across many, many ideas, techniques and web pages....too many! The internet is wonderful but it sure can cause sensory overload. Anyway, I came across some mask makers that use Neoprene to create their masks (some artists use it for props and such, too). I have experimented with latex before and was really pleased with the outcome. Neoprene is a commercial, industrial strength rubber (think latex on steroids). Unlike latex, neoprene 'hardens' as it dries. Making it perfect for masks and things along those lines. I have also discovered that it comes in white (dries to a creamy yellow) and black....that could make for some interesting projects. :)  It also accepts all kinds of paints... lacquers, enamels and acrylics.
So I have decided to sculpt Forrest's face in WED clay and cast him in neoprene. I haven't decided if I'm going to cast more than one or if I will do a single 'pull'. That one is still floating around my head.
I did manage to get some sculpting done today (yes, I know, I'm jumping all over my timeline). So far he looks fantastic and I am extremely happy with his 'flow'.
a peek at Forrest's face

The creative ideas for DragonCon are still swirling around my head ~ like a freaking whirlpool. Still having issues deciding on a fluid concept. Actually, on one fluid concept. I have several that are taking shape but none of them have become concrete yet. It's becoming annoying...every time I see something I think 'wow, that would really go with my costume'.....but then I realize 'in order to use that I would have to remove this piece or that piece'. I guess that' what I get for having an "artist's brain". Some times it's really hard to turn off the creative process and just see things for what they are. I've given myself until the end of the month to finalize a costume....guess what? it's the end of the month. Got to get focused and make a choice in the next couple of days.....stay tuned for the final decision. 
On the plus side I did go out and pick up the material for my doublet for the RenFest. YAY! I had some material that I bought ( two years ago) to use for a doublet. Now I can actually put it all together. So my dear readers, be ready...my focus will shift back and forth between dolls / sculpting / molding / casting and now sewing and patterns. Some times I think I need to clone myself so I can do more projects. :)  
Wanna see the material? Aw, come on now, you know you do...
the one of the left is the original fabric i bought a while back

I've been slacking off on my exercising as well.....sort of. Last week I started P90 again as well as going to the gym. I've been using the tread mill at the gym. I'm doing about 3 miles in 45 minutes. I watch people get on the machines next to me and run. The whole time I'm thinking 'wow, I must be moving slow'. Well, I got a look at the screen on the machines around me.....I'm walking faster than most of them are running. It made me feel better about not running. I've gotten my speed up between 4 and 5. I have no idea what that compare to but it's fairly fast. I also work my incline up between 4 and 5 percent too. Which kicks my butt some days. I did both last week and the beginning of this week and then just....blah. No energy or desire to work out. I made myself a schedule...now I just have to stick to it. I've got to get my butt in gear. I want to get in shape for the RenFest - I know, it's a goofy reason, but hey, it's a reason! Hosen fit fairly tightly, can't have a saggy butt or a big gut!! :)  My wife has been knocking it out of the park! She's down another two sizes! I'm so proud of her! I'll have to kick it into high gear...she can't have a chunky husband, right? LOL!

I don't watch a whole lot of television. I have a few things that I do watch, Castle on Mondays, I like Nathan Fillion - Firefly is one of my favorite shows, Face Off on Wednesdays and Merlin on Fridays. I did however manage to squeeze a movie in...last weekend, I think. It was Cowboys & Aliens. It was pretty good. Good story, good amount of action, the special effects were good too. However, it was 'James Bond' in a cowboy outfit. I think Mr. Craig has been type cast. Although I haven't seen The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo yet. Maybe that will be my next movie. Who knows when that will be though. I will have to say that I would love to look like Daniel. I could be happy with that body! LOL!! Too bad I'd have to use a chain saw to come anywhere close to looking like that. :)
pretty good movie

I guess that's about all for now. Hopefully I will have lots to tell you the next time around....which I will try very hard to do sooner than two weeks. I try to post every week but time just seems to slip away when you're not looking. 

Until then....

Be Good, Be Safe, Be Happy!!


TTFN
p.s.  Just in case you were wondering...ONLY 277 days left! (till Halloween, of course!)  :)






1 comment:

  1. Forrest is looking good. What will he be for?
    Coy boys and Aliens was a really good movie. i hate westerns but i had to see it.
    maybe we could do a movie night and watch the Girl with the dragon tattoo. we havent see it yet.

    ReplyDelete