Sunday, November 06, 2011


Good Sunday Morning to ya!

Did you remember to set your clocks back? I did - at least on the important ones, ya know, bed room alarm and the microwave. Can't nuke my coffee with the wrong time. Ha!

I actually got to work on the Dollie Project yesterday. Kind of a happy / not so much day. I managed to get the papermache out of the devil mold. I still have to soak it to get all the little pieces out. My skull mold was not so fortunate. the papermache seems to have adhered itself to the mold, even with mold release. I'm going to try soaking it before I give up completely. What a mess. The papermache in the devil was still wet (a week and a half later). I think that's why it came out relatively easily. Live and learn, I guess. I think if I decide to try the celluclay again with a mold it will be a rubber mold.

On the plus side, I did get the 'mask' finished for one of the dolls. It came out quite well, even if I do say so myself. :)  I used paperclay for the sculpt and painted / crackled with acrylics. Now I just have to figure out which one of the dollies is going to get this face. I've also made a pair of eyes specificly for this face. Sometime today I hope to get them applied to the doll. I have decided that I am going to try and do each dolls face differently....paperclay for one, sewing for another, and I think paint for another. I will keep you updated on the progress and the decissions. In the mean time, here's some photos....
the starting point...paperclay

the crackle test. had to seal the paperclay so it wouldn't absorb the paint

the under paints - Phthlao Green with Black drybrush

then a Titan Buff crackle. Sealed with a semi-gloss polyurethane

Not too shabby, huh? I can't wait to see it on the dollie. I think it will 'pop'. I've loosely placed the eyes with this face and I think they will make it really stand out.

I also started a 'round, half mask' when I started with the papermache. Not sure if it's going to get used for one of these dolls or a future project. Not sure I like it or not. I did paint it yesterday, while I was waiting for the skull face to dry.

orange undercoat with a darker orange drybrush. Phthlao green and Red oxide for the stem.
poor thing looks like a peach in this photo. not convinced where this is going to be used yet.

I've also created some 'hang tags' for the dollies as well. I don't have any photos of them (as of yet). I will post those with the photos of the attached face mask. :) This project is coming along nicely...even if the time schedule is messed up (Halloween after Halloween).

I guess that's all for now...the GHDP moves forward!


No comments:

Post a Comment